Carla Bruni is expecting twins in the autumn, it was claimed in France today.


Voici, a Paris weekly magazine with excellent contacts in the fashion world, claims the 43-year-old First Lady 'won’t be able to keep her bump hidden for much longer.'

At the weekend the former supermodel was seen covering her stomach with a shawl, and did not deny that she was expecting her first child with President Nicolas Sarkozy, 56.

'We can now be a little more specific about the speculation that the First lady is pregnant,' says Voici in an editorial, without naming its sources, adding: 'She is expecting twins.' 

In an interview with Le Parisien on Monday, Ms Bruni spoke for the first time about her alleged pregnancy – offering a rambling explanation about why she wants to keep it a secret.

She said she was prepared to talk about it 'woman to woman' in a café, but not in public.

She has a nine-year-old son, Aurelian, with another lover, but makes it clear in the interview his privacy is paramount.

Responding to a woman reader of the newspaper who asked her directly if she would talk about her pregnancy, Carla responded:  'It’s kind to have asked. If you’ll permit me, I won’t answer all these questions about my family.

'I also have a little boy – I don't answer questions about my little boy. If we were both at a café, I would tell you frankly.'

Carla then launched into a convoluted – and at times confusing - explanation about why she won't discuss her pregnancy.

'Why won’t I tell you? I'll tell you,' she said, referring continually to Mr Sarkozy's career.

'Around 180 per cent of the time my husband is dealing with his country.  He only talks about that. He does nothing else. He's obsessed by that. Unfortunately for me, fortunately for everybody else!

'Then me, I speak about something, it takes precedence over everything he does. I would certainly like to talk to you, woman to woman, about my family life, about my personal dreams, details about certain things.

Comments